In this Esperanza Rising novel study, students will dig deep to analyze the life lessons the main character learns as she strives to rise above her difficult life circumstances. This unit includes a variety of challenging lessons and Esperanza Rising activities.
TEXT: Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
TOTAL: 108 pages
Pacing Guide and Answer Keys included
This Esperanza Rising novel study is jam-packed with everything you need to teach the novel, whether you’re doing it as a whole-class, a small group (i.e. reading groups or literature circles), or as an individual project. It includes many Esperanza Rising activities that serve as comprehension tools and valuable practice determining different story elements.
These rigorous, cross-curricular lessons and activities work in conjunction with the fictional text to teach students how comprehend complex literature and help them understand the significance of the story.
>>>MEETS COMMON CORE STANDARDS<<<
- Teaching Tips – helpful hints and suggested timeline to ensure that you make the most of this resource
- Teacher Notes – notes on all the chapters and characters for your reference
- Esperanza Rising Comprehension Questions – multiple questions for every chapter to check student comprehension Answer key included!
- Vocabulary – five vocabulary words for each chapter Answer key included!
- Esperanza’s Journal – a creative alternative to comprehension questions
- Graphic Organizers – visual displays to help students keep track of their ideas.
- Esperanza Rising Writing Prompts – assess student comprehension at the end of the novel
- Esperanza Rising Activities – extra projects to bring this novel to life in your classroom!
This unit is aligned with the following Common Core standards: